Here's some of the fundamentals of Patrick's & Lori's current classes:
Tango Connections. You can learn Argentine Tango, a highly personal and expressive social dance that can be danced to many different styles of music. It all starts with walking! Walk into a playful, fun, exploration of this exciting, improvisational dance.
In the Tango Connection classes you will learn the basics of the embrace, connection, musicality. Our classes build from week to week with an emphasis on good posture, embrace and awareness of your partner, the music, and the other dancers on the floor.
We will dance to the full range of tango music from traditional Argentine, to modern tango orchestras, nuevo and fusion music and non-tango and popular music that works for tango. You will gain an understanding of the different forms of tango from traditional to nuevo (with the showy flourishes) and including tango waltz (Vals) and Milonga.
Couples or Singles are welcome as are same sex couples or individuals who wish to learn a non-traditional role. Students are encouraged to dance with other members of the class to ensure a fuller understanding of the dance. All ages are welcome, all body types, even those of you who 'can't dance'.
Overarching themes and ideas in Patrick & Lori's classes:
- Within the tango we have opportunities to learn about qualities of connection, how we express and receive communication - both expected and unexpected - and how we can expand our range of expression in response to different moods, people and music that we encounter.
- Patrick & Lori invite you to explore and expand your vocabulary of connection and communication in the dance. In each class we will deepen and enrich fundamental qualities of tango connection with your self, your partner, music and the community of the dance floor.
- Within the three dimensional sphere of connection we will examine ways to sustain our dynamic ground with aliveness and full extension.
- We will negotiate how close we dance together, and how expressive we can be in relationship to our partners and other couples.
Close embrace, circularity and musicality.
Within an alive, fluid connection we can explore the musical vocabulary of circular and spiral movements in the dance. Building on concrete fundamentals of posture and vocabulary we can experience subtle moments of flow, fluid connection, and an ever-present aliveness within the music.
- Class One - Circular musicality - molinete and turns with presence and playfulness.
- Class Two - Subtle off axis - moments of presence in the pause and pivot.